The O’Flaherty Irish Music Retreat is open for enrollment by adults ages 18 and older. Youth ages 12-17 may enroll by invitation only and at the sole discretion of the retreat’s director.
The Board of Directors of the Traditional Irish Music Education Society (TIMES) has agreed to permit an exception to the age requirement of 18 and older to enable selected youth to attend the retreat. This was largely done to help advance the musical development of students who are minors that are unable to receive comparable instruction in their local communities and/or unable to attend other Irish music camps of equal benefit elsewhere. In addition to certain conditions being met for enrollment (see below), the director of the retreat will set limits on the number of youth who may enroll in select classes. Also, a fixed number of scholarships will be available to youth.
All of the following requirements must be met for the retreat director to consider youth enrollment:
- Must be age 12 and older by Thursday, October 19th, 2023.
- Must submit all required documents and materials by Saturday, September 2nd, 2023.
- Must display a high level of interest, involvement and dedication to Irish traditional music.
- Must possess a level of ability that is comparable to the adult students expected to be enrolled in the classes the student wants to attend.
- Must be comfortable in a class setting with adults, all or most of whom will likely be strangers.
- Must be attentive in classes, well-behaved and considerate of others in and out of class, and respect authority.
- Must have an educational need that is not satisfied by the other Irish music education programs that are currently accessible by the students in their communities.
- Must complete and submit our online AGE EXCEPTION REQUEST FORM and obtain the approval of the retreat director prior to enrolling online.
- Must submit two YOUTH RECOMMENDATION FORMS completed by non-family musicians and/or music teachers who are sufficiently familiar with the musical aptitude and ability of the student.
- Must submit an MP3 or Smart Phone recording of the student’s playing of an Irish melody on their instrument unaccompanied. For singers, the students should sing a song unaccompanied. For rhythm instrument players, students should accompany a singer or melody player, and if unavailable, demonstrate their abilities alone.
- Must abide by all camp policies for attendees.
- PLEASE NOTE: Email all documents and recordings or their links to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If any of the above requirements are not met, the student’s enrollment will not be accepted.
PLEASE NOTE: If your child has previously attended the retreat and received an age exception, only the Age Exception Request Form has to be submitted each year. The other requirements are considered completed.
If approved and the students and/or their parents/adult relatives do not abide by these requirements while at the retreat, they will be asked to leave immediately. Due to the potential liability of permitting minors to attend the retreat, there will a Zero Tolerance enforcement of this policy and policies applying to all of the attendees.
Must have an appropriate level of parental involvement. Outside of scheduled activities at the retreat, any student age 17 and younger must be accompanied by a parent or adult relative. Students will be prohibited from overnight stay on campus unless they are roomed with a parent or adult relative.